Monday, August 9, 2021

The Best Mexican Restaurant in Ocala, FL

Best Mexican Restaurant North of the border! 

    One of my all-time favorite restaurants in Ocala is El Toreo. It's a Mexican-style restaurant in town with several locations, one on each side of Ocala as well as 2 locations in Valdosta, Georgia. These guys really know their stuff! I mainly started going there because others raved about their fresh chips and salsa, served to every table & free with any purchase. After the first time there, I was hooked! Their homemade salsa and warm chips hit the table within seconds of being seated. I have been known to get just the chips & salsa (about $5 if you don't order anything besides water). Totally worth it! They also offer a cheese dip that on occasion I add chorizo to (chorizo is a Mexican sausage, very salty). Between the warm chips, melty cheese, and not-too-hot salsa I can get my fill. Sharing with those at your table is encouraged, but not required, they will bring as many bowls of salsa and chips as you can eat.

Nachos with beef & cheese

    I am a huge fan of the nacho plates. These can be customized with just cheese, beef, chicken, & even fajita toppings. While I generally order this as my meal, it's technically on the appetizers menu and can be shared if so desired. I like to pour the salsa directly on top of the nachos as well. This makes for a pretty heavy meal. If you leave El Toreo hungry, it's your own fault. 

    Situated on Silver Spring Blvd., just east of NE 36th Avenue, the north location is my favorite. I always get excellent service here and the staff is always friendly. 

Sopas with hot sauce

    My husband and I have tried almost every dish on the menu over the years, and there really isn't anything that we don't like. While we both have our preferences and sometimes just order the same thing over and over, there's nothing on the menu that isn't good. 

    With the traditional mariachi music playing lightly over the speakers, it's not so loud that you can't carry on a conversation. There are also several TVs playing various sporting events dotted around the walls, there's something for everyone to watch if you are dining alone or aren't interested in talking to your companions during a meal.

    The 2-for1 margaritas have always been a go-to for us as well. With several different flavor options and sizes, there's a drink for everyone. They even have a shareable "Monster Margarita" that includes 2 Coronas dumped in it if you like that sort of thing. They also have a decent beer and wine selection along with non-alcoholic options.

You can check out their full menu here.




Any and all opinions and pictures herein expressed are my own. I do not receive compensation for this review. Any links used are at the sole responsibility of the user. Smanda Makes It Work cannot be held responsible for damaged or missing links or otherwise broken websites.


1 comment:

  1. Love the food, I will certainly try some nachos if I am in town.
    Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete

The best little BBQ joint in Ocala, FL

  Big Rascal BBQ & Grill Why I love Big Rascal's      3 words. Jalapeno Mac-n-Cheese. Not overly spicy, just enough kick to tell you...