Thursday, July 29, 2021

Growth Despite the Odds

    At my job, on the south side of the building, there is a plant growing out of the top of the gutter. I have watched this plant thrive despite being in the full sun and exposed to all the elements that Florida weather can throw at it. Now, to some, this may not seem extraordinary, but to me, it shows just how resilient a thing can be, despite not having the most basic of life-inducing elements. Soil is where most plants grow, whether it is in the ground, a planter, or box, most plants require the nutrients from soil to survive.  

    Last year, I saw the first part of its growth popping over the top of the roof and thought that it was on the roof. At first, I thought that there was no way that a plant could survive for long up there. The sheer force of the water flowing down the gutter would most certainly wash it away with the next big storm. This little guy stands about 4 feet tall now. 

Plant growing out of a gutter atop a 40ft tall building.

    Through a cold winter and a blazing hot summer, this plant has not only survived but thrived. It has grown, despite not having a food source besides the sun and rain. It has flourished and flowered. Where did it get its strength? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Way up there!

    Maybe its sole purpose is to remind me that I am stronger than I think. That, despite the challenges, I too can flourish with what looks and feels like very little nutrient. You can too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The best little BBQ joint in Ocala, FL

  Big Rascal BBQ & Grill Why I love Big Rascal's      3 words. Jalapeno Mac-n-Cheese. Not overly spicy, just enough kick to tell you...